Omid Kokabee, a young Iranian scientist and postdoctoral student at the University of Texas has been given a 10-year prison sentence for “cooperation with the Israeli Mossad.” Kokabee was arrested when he returned to Iran for a winter break at the end of 2010. On Sunday, May 13, trial was held for 15 defendants charged with espionage in the courtroom of Judge Salavati. Eight were imprisoned for months prior to this trial. In the courtroom, some of the defendants accepted their charges and even thanked the Intelligence Ministry for arresting them. However, Omid Kokabee refused to say anything in court and was therefore sentenced to 10 years in prison.
10-year prison sentence for “cooperation with the Mossad”
- Published: 517 days ago on Wednesday, 16 May 2012
- By: Iran Daily Brief
- Last Modified: May 16, 2012 @ 3:11 pm
- Filed Under: Human Rights
- Tagged with: Omid Kokabee
- http://www.rahesabz.net/story/53109/; http://www.kaleme.com/1391/02/25/klm-100855/; http://persianbanoo.wordpress.com/2012/05/14/scientist-dr-omid-kokabi-is-sentenced-to-10-years-in-prison-for-refusing-to-cooperate-with-irgc/