The following are some of the highlights from the weekly press conference of Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast –
- Events in Syria – Events in Syria can potentially affect the security of the entire region. Anyone who is interested in a lack of security in Syria has clear political motivations. The wave of Islamic Awakening (“Arab Spring”) has led to a break in dependence on the US and threatens the interests of the Zionist regime. Those who are dissatisfied with this process are fomenting instability and tension in Syria, in order to prepare an escape route for the Zionist regime. Acts of terrorism must be decried, around the world and in Syria as well. We recommend that all countries and political movements with influence in Syria avoid inciting acts of terrorism. At the moment, it would be best to support Kofi Annan and his plan to stabilize and calm the situation in Syria. Supporters of the Zionist regime want to see his plan fail.
- Moscow talks and Amano’s visit – The issue of bilateral cooperation between Iran and the IAEA is not related to the negotiations between Iran and the 5+1; while there may be some influence, there is no direct connection. We cooperate with the IAEA, and this cooperation has its own legal and technical structure. In view of our obligations to the IAEA, we also enjoy the attendant rights. Therefore, our cooperation with IAEA is broader and all of our nuclear sites and activities are coordinated with and under the supervision of the Agency. We hope for better results from IAEA in the future and also that they will support our full technical and technological rights.
- Talks in Baghdad and Moscow – As we have noted in the past, we are not requesting anything other than our rightful due. We will not allow anyone to trample on our rights. If the talks are based on this principle, we will be able to hold the talks in a good atmosphere. The parties have agreed to continue the talks in Moscow. Setting a time and place is considered a positive step, and we hope that we will achieve better, fuller results in the coming stages.
- Relationship between Iran and Azerbaijan – The Zionist regime and those who are opposed to the interests of the Islamic world are unwilling to see good relationships between countries in the region, and they are plotting schemes that require us to remain alert and perceptive. We asked the Azerbaijani government to respond wisely to these conspiracies and think about the sensitive conditions in the region. In light of the Islamic Awakening, the only way to save the Zionist regime and their Western supporters is to encourage intrigue. We recommend acting within the law and good neighborly relations so that the public’s feelings are not hurt. We will never allow anyone to insult holy values, and Baku must do all it can to confront these people, bring the perpetrators of these incidents to trial.
- Iran’s position on suspending 20% uranium enrichment – Our nuclear activities are conducted within our rights. We consider all activities for peaceful purposes to be our natural right, and these rights must be recognized. It is completely clear which enrichment percentages are for peaceful purposes, and IAEA also recognizes this as a technical point. Therefore, we again stress that our right to possess nuclear fuel for use in research for peaceful purposes. We shall not retreat on this point.
- Foreign Minister travels to India – Ali Akbar Salehi, Iran’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, will visit India.
- Non-Aligned Summit in Tehran – A summit meeting of Non-Aligned States will be held n Tehran in August. Leading officials from many countries will be invited. Invitations have been prepared and Iranian officials have already delivered some of them to the relevant parties.
- Fatah and Hamas consult on forming a national unity government – Unity between Palestinian groups is necessary if the Palestinians are to obtain their full rights and dwell on their land. Iran welcomes unity among all Palestinian groups and considers it an essential condition for returning all occupied Palestinian territory from the river to the sea and restoring it to its original owners.