Five political prisoners in Wing 350 of Evin Prison launched a hunger strike to protest the fact that authorities have not responded to the demands of Reza Shahabi (worker rights activist on his 23rd day of a hunger strike), who is on a hunger strike to protest his medical condition. The five are Saeed Daralshepa, Saroush Sabat and Faridon Sidi Raad, left-wing student activists. The five declared a hunger strike three days ago. Parallel to the publication of this report, prison authorities responded to the demands of Reza Shahabi, and he was granted furlough to obtain medical treatment after 23 days on a hunger strike. The Reza Shahabi Defence Committee reports that labor organizations in France, the UK, Denmark, US and Canada have written letters in support of Shahabi, demanding the authorities take responsibility for the jailed labor activist’s health. Read Reza Shahabi’s open letter: I am only one manifestation of extortion on prisoners’ health.
Hunger strike to protest lack of response to prisoner’s demands
- Published: 18 days ago on Wednesday, 9 January 2013
- By: Iran Daily Brief
- Last Modified: January 9, 2013 @ 4:23 pm
- Filed Under: Human Rights
- Tagged with: iran human rights violations
- http://www.rahesabz.net/story/64570/; http://www.radiozamaneh.com/english/content/hunger-striking-activist-attracts-international-concern; https://www.facebook.com/notes/g%C3%B6ran-gustavsson/reza-shahabis-open-letter-i-am-only-one-manifestation-of-extortion-on-prisoners-/10151320186658812