Kayhan editorial by Hossein Shariatamdari, “Two Parallel Lines that Crossed!”
- The latest reports on the round of talks between Iran and the West indicate that the talks ended without results. At a press conference at the end of the talks, Catherine Ashton said that the positions of the two sides were very far apart, and the negotiating teams were scheduled to return to their countries and review the submitted proposals!
Why did the Almaty 2 talks end without results? At the end of these unproductive talks, in whose favor is the balance of powers tilting? In order to answer this question, we must reexamine the exact statements made by the Supreme Leader in Mashhad: “Based on past experience and a meticulous review of the arena, we believe that the US does not want a conclusion to the nuclear talks. The Americans do not want an end to the nuclear talks and a resolution of the conflict. If they wanted to resolve the issue, the solution is easy and within grasp. Regarding the nuclear issue, Iran only wants the world to recognize its natural right, the right to enrich. This is what we always said but they don’t even agree to this.”
- According to documents and evidence, in the nuclear challenge against Iran, the United States has reached an impasse. This impasse is related to the meeting ground between two lines. The two lines that the United States expected to continue to run parallel, to insert Islamic Iran into the space between them, to limit Iran and ultimately silence Iran. Today, however, these two parallel lines, in contrast with the rival’s expectations, converged and crossed paths, and began moving in opposite directions. These two lines are: the first line being the illegal continuation of the nuclear challenge so that it continues to be an excuse for sanctions. The second line is the continuation of sanctions with graduated goal, change in behavior and finally change in Iran’s regime structure.
- The United States is not willing to recognize Iran’s legal right and end the nuclear challenge for several reasons, including its use of sanctions as an excuse for sanctions and not because it truly fears that Iran will manufacture nuclear weapons. The false US claims in this regard and under the guise of “concern of the international community” have no technical or legal justification. The goal of the sanctions is to apply pressure to Iran for two reasons, change in behavior and then changing the structure of the regime. Another reason is that if the US recognizes Iran’s legal right (to nuclear energy for peaceful purposes), and ends this case that has been dragging on for a decade, it will essentially hand Iran another victory to its resistance, something that is a nightmare for the US and its allies around the tense world in which nations are demonstrating hostility towards imperialist regimes. Another reason is the US desire to provoke Iranophobia and in this manner, sell weapons to mercenary countries and regional dictators. And for dozens of other reasons.
- The aforementioned reasons encourage the US to drag out the nuclear case, but the second line, the sanctions, which was supposed to run parallel to the nuclear line and behave according to this line, changed direction and not only did not prevent Iran’s scientific and technological progress and failed to realize Mrs. Clinton’s and Obama’s dream of paralyzing Iran’s economy to provoke citizens to rise up against the Islamic regime, it is, as the Supreme Leader stated, these threats turned into an opportunity and reinforced Iranian people’s determination to withstand the enemy and reach new heights. Despite the difficulties and high cost of living, Iranian citizens demonstrated exemplary behavior on the Revolution Victory Day and Iranian scientists have reached unprecedented achievements.
- Continuation of the USs nuclear challenge with Iran falls in place with the line that it delineated and if it continues parallel to the sanctions line, it could bring the US to realize the goals it set out in advance. Now that these two parallel lines, in violation of all engineering logic, have crossed each other and are moving in different directions than the pre-established directions, they can no longer inhibit Islamic Iran’s progress.
- We can now clearly delineate an outline and based on the impasse reached by the US. If it ends the nuclear challenge, it will record another victory for Iran that is based on the strong resistance and durability and will accelerate the wave of Islamic awakening. If it continues the nuclear challenge, when the leverage of these sanctions no longer work, not only will it be unable to prevent Iranian progress, it will encourage nations to stand strong against imperialism. Furthermore, Iran continues and will continue its nuclear activity with all its might, and wasting opportunities harms the Americans. We can vehemently say that the US has entered a game that will lead to loss in every direction. The formula for exiting this game is choosing the least of all bad options. Based on the evidence, the US is looking for a way out of the impasse in a manner that will allow it to retain its dignity.
- While Obama claims that the military option is still on the table, it is a ridiculous claim and the Supreme Leader has issued an extremely humiliating response. As Imam Khomeini said, “The US can’t do a damn thing.”
The conclusion is that the US has only one option, to find a dignified way of exiting this impasse. We can clearly say that at the end of the unproductive round of talks in Almaty, the balance of power has tilted towards Islamic Iran.